Sunday, February 10, 2008

Apple Juice



"The title is the impetus to write this blog.... That's right, apple juice. Of all the juices, in all the joints, in all the world, I had to choose apple. I just now happened to glance the back label of a bottle of apple juice I bought today and saw it contains concentrate from the U.S.A, Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, Germany, and Turkey. Sure, you might say, just a part of globalization that - but 7 different countries?! That's apples from 4 different continents, people!!! WTF?! Why not go for all 7? It is just me, or does that seem a little odd to you?" ~Jennifer Saunders-Johnson


This was actually a post on my friend's blog, but I found it so fascinating I wanted to share it. Such a simple thing really, but it DOES make one ponder... I must say that my original take on it was, "That is disgusting that they are preparing apple juice with apples from 4 different continents!" But then I saw Jennifer's take on it and it blew my mind in a wholly different direction (a more positive one). I am referring to when she says (I'm paraphrasing), "Why not all 7 continents?" I wish we could all be so positively minded towards peace and unity.

Thanks, Jennifer!

Edit:
It has been brought to my attention that I seemed to have missed Jennifer's point, which is that it is "odd" for juice to be made from fruit originating in 7 various countries. This made me realize that I haven't done a very good job of explaining my thought processes. Yes, I am aware that Jennifer was pointing out the irony and ridiculousness of juice being manufactured in such a way. The point I was trying to make, however, was that the way she stated it made me see things from a different angle. "What you see depends on where you stand." Hmmm! So maybe it was my seeing things from a another angle that made me interpret differently what she was stating. Ha! ALSO: when she stated, "Why not all 7 continents?" (paraphrasing again) it brought to my mind the concept of the subconscious. Maybe Jennifer made her statement as a show of sarcasm, but deep down inside one has to wonder if she REALLY meant it, and from a symbolic standpoint at that.

So once again, here's to peace and unity; ONE humankind and, as Jennifer put it, "Unity Juice."

No comments:

Post a Comment