Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dealings With an Asperger's Teen

My son has Asperger's Syndrome. Sometimes it's a challenge, sometimes it makes me sad. Sometimes it's a struggle. It's always illuminating and sometimes it's just plain funny.

Here is a recent conversation with my Aspy-teen:

Gabe, do me a favor, please. Go out and see if there are any eggs in the [chicken] coop.


Okay, mom.


(A few minutes elapse before Gabe comes back into the house.)


So, how many eggs are there?


Two.


Where are they, Gabe?


In the coop.


Why didn't you bring them in?


You said to see how many there were, you never said I should bring them in!


D'oh!

It is fascinating to me how Aspy's take everything quite literally. I have had to retrain myself in how I say everything  and anything when I talk to him. It is also the distinct reason I have learned never to say to him, "One of these days I'm going to unscrew your head and hand it to you." The one time I said it (a family tradition of the mothers in my family) I immediately regretted my poor judgment. Oops.

Combine Asperger's with typical teen quirkiness and it's always a day at the carnival.

My son has helped me to grow in so many ways. He has opened my eyes to facets of the universe I would have otherwise never known existed. For this I thank him. For himself, I will always love him with all my heart.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment