Saturday, November 20, 2010

Happy Holidays to You!

I've never understood the big deal about saying "Happy Holidays!" rather than "Merry Christmas!". The only people who DO seem to have their panties in a bunch over the issue are the devout fundie-nutberger Hypochristians that seem to be trying to mandate all social, political, educational, environmental, economic and spiritual aspects of public American life.

I, as a self-affirmed atheist, prefer Happy Holidays. And not just because I'm an atheist. I have enough empathy and outer-awareness to realize that there are many people in the world who do not believe in Jesus, or who celebrate other religious holidays that just happen to coincide with the Christian holiday of Christmas. In conscious acknowledgment of these people, and with deepest respect for them, I will gladly wish people a "Happy Holiday".

If someone should wish me a Merry Christmas I tend to be okay with that because I realize that they probably just don't understand the vast array of human religions that occupy the same time frame on the calendar as Christmas. Furthermore, the wish was made from good intentions, so no harm no foul. I can excuse people their ignorance (to a degree!) if they at least meant well.

What bothers me deeply, however, are those fundie-nutbergers I referred to previously. For all their defense of Jesus they just refuse to share the arena with anyone who doesn't believe what they believe. They don't say, "Merry Christmas" because they don't know any better. They say it because it's a defiant in-your-face to everybody who is not like them. But they don't stop there. No, not those rabid Palin-Knows-Best hypocrites. They go one step further: they are furiously insulted if someone wishes them a "Happy Holiday", or even worse, if a business or any other establishment espouses "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas". They have no regard for other people's beliefs and somehow think they hold a monopoly on December... a month in which Jesus was never even really born.

And yet, they don't realize and/or care that there are people of other faiths out there who may be offended by their narrow-minded Christmas wish of happiness.

After all, it's not a blessing they are trying to bestow on others, it's a mandate.

Intolerance of others was not something Jesus ever espoused (okay, except for maybe the money-changers) yet these Christo-fanatics are in fact behaving in a very Un-christian like fashion. Thusly, they have disqualified themselves as true Christians, i.e., a religious FAIL.

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”



Take the poll and let the world know where you stand:


http://www.idahopress.com/opinion/poll_feb86b70-f1df-11df-abef-001cc4c002e0.html


Peace on Earth, good will to ALL... even if you believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters (maybe even especially).

5 comments:

  1. It is not upsetting to hear "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" (in my opinion) I really could care less what decorations people use. What I do not understand is why is it "now" a bad thing to say "Merry Christmas" or have "Merry Christmas" paper etc..It is as if others are trying to abolish Christmas just like the Pledge of Allegiance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Anon, I can't speak for others so I can't answer all your questions. My issue is not with people who say Merry Christmas but with those who will not accept anything different (and yet somehow inherently similar in good will) from anyone else. Tolerance is key here, IMHO.

    As for the Pledge of Allegiance, I haven't heard of anyone trying to abolish it, so if you have any info about that I'd love to hear it. The only parts of the Pledge that bug me are these two issues:

    1) The Pledge was written in the late 1800s. It wasn't until 1954 that "under God" was added; in our diversified culture of supposed inclusion I cannot understand why we tolerate the "under God" portion as it is not an inclusive statement. It's EXclusive. It also is an overt slap in the face to the whole "separation of church and state" concept that is so integral a part of our laws.

    2) This part dovetails into "Issue #1": powers that be FORCE people to state the pledge (such as in school), and yet the pledge requires one to state "under God", even if one is not a Christian. This is a slap in the face to the person who must recite the pledge AND to the people/culture/country for whom the pledge is meant. It forces someone to falsely claim something about which they may feel otherwise. It makes a mockery of our democracy.

    Also, I always hated that I was REQUIRED to say something. I didn't ever mind having to say it, I simply loathed the idea that I MUST say it, "or else". I like to believe that freedom of speech includes the freedom to NOT speak when one feels that such an action may contradict their nature or their own well-being.

    Gee, that kind of makes me think of Ron White when he recounted an instance of getting in trouble with the police after being drunk in public, "I had the RIGHT to remain silent, however, I didn't have the ABILITY."
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wealth of information, thank you. When I mentioned the Pledge of Allegiance, I was remembering my days back in grade school. We all stood at 9am sharp one day, and the pledge did not commence. Instead we had an announcement that a student in the school did not want to call our home their home and refused to repeat it and was offended by hearing it; therefore the school was no longer reciting it. And we all sat, and refused to start class on the same grounds. We were kids, but it still sits clearly in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me what other religious or culture holiday is celebrated in December that tends to get offended or that I'm gonna have to consider their feelings! What I'm reading here is I shouldn't celebrate my Savior's birthday out loud because I will offend you. Let me tell you something, it's the retailers that are distorting the true celebration of Christmas for their own profit. Christmas is not about Black Friday, so don't confuse it. A true Christian would not have lower his/her self to explain to you what is in our hearts, but I must because I'm a Christian and I'm real offended on how ignorant people can be and the hatred they have towards us. You need a history lesson. Soon you people are gonna want to abolish the words "Merry Christmas" because its too offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to answer your questions & clear up any misconceptions you may have regarding my post.
    The other religious holidays you requested knowledge of include (but probably aren't limited to):
    1. Ashura (Islamic, Muslim)
    2. St. Nicholas Day (International)
    3. Bodhi Day- Buddha's Enlightenment (Buddhism)
    4. Hanukkah (Jewish)
    5. Virgin of Guadalupe (Mexico)
    6. Santa Lucia Day (Sweden)
    7. Las Posadas (Mexico)
    8. Christmas (Christian, Roman Catholic, International)
    9. Boxing Day (Canada, United Kingdom)
    10. Kwanzaa (African American)
    I didn't say that other religions are offended by being offered a wish of "Merry Christmas". My stance, as clearly stated in my post, is that any well wish is made with good intentions & should be accepted as such. My complaint was that some people allow themselves to be offended by a well wish because it isn't on their terms. Thus, I never said that anyone should be prevented from celebrating their religious holiday, as you claim.
    Nor did I make any mention of Black Friday/retailers, so there was nothing to "confuse", as you state.
    A true Christian would always be grateful for an opportunity to explain their religious beliefs to others in the hopes of spreading the word of God & creating a sense of understanding & positive acceptance. Perceiving this act of kindness/friendliness (ie- peace) as a way of "lowering her/his self" actually inhibits one's ability to share their religion in a positive & affirming manner that would be representative of why anyone else should want to become of a part of that religion themselves. Furthermore, a true Christian should feel enough confidence in their faith to never feel that they are "above" anyone else. Their hearts lie in the concept of equality and love for all. Example: "Forgive the sinner, not the sin."
    I never said that anyone should have to justify their choice of holiday greeting. Indeed, my post explores the idea that no one should have to justify their choice of greeting, whether it be "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", etc.
    The contempt I displayed was not for Christians as a whole, but rather for those who call themselves Christians but who don't have the tolerance &/or understanding in their hearts as represented by the Christ (and christian lifestyle) which they claim to follow.
    The act of calling someone "you people" is a way of excluding them from yourself or your identifying group, thus making "you people" other (alien). It is derogatory & suggests the opposite of what Jesus espoused, which was INCLUSIVENESS.
    Please, again, note that nowhere in my post did I support the abolition of Christmas or the words "Merry Christmas". I didn't complain against the greeting of "Merry Christmas". I implored for better understanding & acceptance of ANY holiday greeting as an intention of good wishes. I supported the notion that ALL holiday greetings should be accepted & none should be criticized as deficient. Hence, a quest for INCLUSIVENESS.
    As for my history lesson, please allow me to share a *small* amount of my knowledge with you:
    1. The birth of Jesus did NOT occur in December. Early Christians adopted pagan holiday dates & customs in an effort to convert pagans to Christianity. A link for confirmation: http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm
    2. The X in Xmas is indeed a symbol of Christ: http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/christianholidays/f/Xmas.htm
    3. The word "holiday" is a contraction of the term "holy days", thus keeping the "happy holidays" wish holy & faith-oriented.
    I do apologize if you were offended by my post. Offense was never intended. My only concern for you is that you read what was clearly a post regarding tolerance & acceptance as something derogatory & oppressive toward you & your religion.

    ReplyDelete